The American Legion: "Why I Belong"
EFFECTIVE FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, SPORTS THAT SANCTION KNEELING OR DISRESPECT THE U.S. FLAG/NATIONAL ANTHEM WILL NOT BE TELEVISED IN THE POST 459 CLUB ROOM.
As mentioned in the draft Resolution to the American Legion, Department of Michigan (authored by Post 459 member Kevin Russ), “We ask that the American Legion, as a whole, supports Post 459 in our 100% boycott of sports that kneel…” At the beginning of our meetings, we recite the Preamble to the Constitution of the American Legion. We believe in these words! Read them on the back of your membership card!
Below are the guidelines that we are using to facilitate this boycott:
• If the sport’s governing body sanctions or does nothing to stop the kneeling for our Flag or National Anthem, we will not televise nor allow audio of the games at Post 459.
To date (not necessarily final), 10 Sep 2020:
• NFL: in a twitter video in June 2020, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said, “they were wrong for not listening to NFL players…” and now support the kneeling “protest”.
• BIG10: Jun 2020 - Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren said that conference athletes would be able to kneel during the national anthem
• MLB: USA Baseball, the governing body, stated in July 2020 that it supported the players’ kneeling.
• NASCAR: June 2020, Flag and Anthem etiquette removed from handbook to allow disrespect.
• NHL: Governing body silent, allowing franchises to decide
• NBA: No kneeling, yet players and officials are ignoring the mandate
• NWSL: July 2020. Players across the National Women's Soccer League knelt during the National Anthem before games for the league's Challenge Cup tournament
• FIFA & USSF: June 2020, board of directors voted to repeal the policy requiring its soccer players to stand for the anthem.
FOR MORE PERSPECTIVE ON OUR STANCE,
PLEASE READ THE POST 459 COMMANDER'S COLUMN IN OUR SEPTEMBER 2020 NEWSLETTER
UPDATED POST 459 CLUB ROOM COVID-19 POLICY
This Week's Menu
(10-18-20 through 10-24-20)
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 18: N/A
MONDAY, OCTOBER 19: N/A
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 20: N/A
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 21: N/A
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 22: N/A
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 23: N/A
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 24: N/A
Dates: Thursday, October 1, 15, & 29 at 6:30 pm